Are you ready to take back control?
Anger, Stress, Anxiety and Post-Traumatic Stress response can all involve the Fight/Flight response. We do not have to let this response take, or keep, control of our actions.
In this episode we will discuss:
- Physical manifestation (symptoms) of acute “stress” and escalating anger.
- The Autonomic Nervous System (ANA or aka. involuntary nervous system): responsible for heart rate, respiratory rate, digestion, perspiration, urination and much more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomic_nervous_system
- Heart Rate: An accelerated heart rate due to stress indicates other physical changes are taking place as well.
Condition: (base on heart rate beats per minute -bpm)
- White: 60-80 bpm (at rest)
- Yellow: 80-114 bpm
- Red: 115-145 bpm (optimal performance level for combat and survival)
- Gray: 146-174 bpm
- Black: 175 bpm (significant ruduction in cognitive (thinking) ability)
- [Chart and further discussion available at: http://www.killology.com/art_psych_combat.htm]
- Affect of stress, anger, anxiety on the brain
- Controlled breathing = direct way to impact the Autonomic Nervous System!
- Tactical Breathing: (starting at 12:48): A pattern of 4s
Featured Resource: On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in Ware and Peace by Dave Grossman and Loren Christenson