1. We will explore the struggle that can arise in faith as a result of trauma. We will consider the question: Is it OK to question God? If so, how?
2. We will take a look at light…
- Does light really have the power to change our brains?
- Impact of light on sleep problems, depression, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and possible connections to PTSD care.
Jumping right into our main topic for today: Questioning God
- Does God mind if we question him?
- What about doubts?
- What about people of faith from times past?
- Consider Psalm 77 – He boldly expressed his concerns and…
Science and the Brain: In the light…
– Does light really have the power to impact and even change what is going on in our brains?
- Serotonin: important brain chemical – clear thinking, emotion control, sleep…
- How can we make more serotonin?
- How can we have our brains release it so that
- Taking a walk in the daylight — even on a cloudy day.
- Tryptophan: something you need to eat in order for your brain to make serotonin
- Extra Cautions…
- > If you are on medication that can affect who your body responds to light.
- > Too much UV light? How much is too much for your skin and eyes? (ask your Doc.)
- > You are already taking an antidepressant medication (SSRI or MAO) or other medication that affects your brain chemistry.
- > Light/Skin/Eye sensitivity or problems
Some “Light and Brain” Info:
– How does a lack of sun affect us?, Science Channel – http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/affects-of-lack-of-sun
– Boosting Your Serotonin Activity, Psychology Today – http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prefrontal-nudity/201111/boosting-your-serotonin-activity
– Discovering Light Effects on the Brain, The American Journal of Psychiatry – http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleID=96553
– Study suggests bright light therapy may improve sleep and brain function post mild TBI, http://www.news-medical.net/news/20130601/Study-suggests-bright-light-therapy-may-improve-sleep-and-brain-function-post-mild-TBI.aspx
– Can light make us bright? Effects of light on cognition and sleep. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21531248
– Effect of sunlight and season on serotonin turnover in the brain, Lancet – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12480364
– Unraveling the Sun’s Role in Depression, WebMD http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20021205/unraveling-suns-role-in-depression
(NOTE: The following links are provided by way of reference only. There are many resources available on the web and some may contain differing views, facts and opinions. This podcast, and HART does not endorse any of the authors, their views or products. This is only a sample of articles that you may find helpful. Always investigate for yourself. Always consult with your healthcare provider before making any changes that could impact your health.]
Thank you for listening! Let a friend know. We would appreciate it greatly if you would give us a 5 star rating in the ITunes store and share the good news.